Pages

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Should I Plan My Hunting/Fishing Trips Around the Moon?

As we (here in Texas) begin to look forward to deer season, many avid hunters are planning their vacation time for the upcoming deer season.  Should we plan by the moon phase?

When I was in high school, we lived by whatever rudimentary tables and such that we could find in a magazine.  We skipped out of school when the tables said good fishing (for the record, we were not the brightest and I would never condone such a thing now).  When I crossed the stage at graduation (Whew!), the Vice Principal pulled me in close and said “More studying and less fishing Chris!”.  Little did he (or I for that matter) know, I would end up with a hunting and fishing store and writing about my experiences. 

Photo: Chris Carson
For years now, I have been the proud owner of a Casio Pathfinder watch.  It has a feature that gives you the moon phase and “best times” as told by the number of fish displayed on the watch. To this day, I have a hard time resisting the urge when I see 4 fish on my watch. We have all seen the Solunar Tables printed in magazines (My personal favorite is in Texas Fish & Game Magazine).  There are other products on the market that will predict the best times to hunt and where you should be in order to bag that big buck. Rest assured I will be picking one up soon. In fact, if I can talk my partners at Twisted Oak Hunting & Outfitter Supply into it, we will be carrying something along those lines in the store.  I have my eye on the Deer Hunters’ Moon Guide.

So, should we plan our trips to the woods around the moon? Since I have owned my watch, I have been making observations that I would like to share with you.  As I understand it, there are 4 major /minor feeding times related to the daily lunar cycle: moon overhead, moon under foot, moon rise, & moon set.  Also, we are conditioned to hunt and/or fish in the evening and morning because we believe these to be feeding times or transitional periods or any number of other theories put forth over the years. 

Observations:
  1. I do typically see an increase in both deer feeding/movement, and fish biting or surface activity during all of the times mentioned above.
  2. The duration of activity seems to be more intense, last longer and be more predictable around a full/new moon.
  3. The ¼, ½, & ¾ moons also seem to have the same effect, but to a lesser degree.
  4. Usually there is a build up to the peak of activity that lasts several days and a decline, but when it’s done, it’s done. 
  5. Weather will impact these observations both positively and negatively depending on the situation. Dropping pressure, front moving in, cold weather, always a good time to be in the stand.
  6. This is the best one. When any of those moon phases coincide with or are close to sunset…. You better be ready.  Throw the rut into that equation and/or the right weather… I’m getting excited just thinking about it. If you don’t see anything then, move your stand.
  7. UPDATE TO ORIGINAL POST:  You will notice that when major and minor feed times occur, there are tell tale signs.  There is more activity in nature.  The birds are flying and singing, the woods or the water seems to come alive with sounds and activity.  You will see more of the tell tale signs when this occurs, so be where you think you have the best chance at these times, but look for activity where you didn't see it before.  If you're fishing move to it, if you're hunting, think about these places when planning your next hunt.  Your prey hunts during these times; use that to your advantage.

These are just a few observations from a guy who spends a lot of time in a deer stand and on the water, or in a field scanning the horizon for that indisputable shape of a dove headed your way, or easing up on a dog pointing a covey of quail, or calling in a turkey from the next ridge.

Cole's First Redfish 27 7/8"
Photo: Chuck Crowsey
However, I will also tell you that there are times when I want to throw this whole theory out the window.  In fact, a couple weeks ago I went fishing with my brother.  My prediction was: we would catch fish, probably do fairly well, but we were going to have to work for them.  Long days in the boat. A lot of searching. Figuring out what they would bite. I was wrong. We were releasing keeper trout after catching our limit by noon and decided to go see if we could hook up on some reds; where we put 4 or 5 fish in the boat and I personally caught my two biggest Redfish of my life in about an hour.


So, when is the best time to go hunting or fishing? 

As I have learned time and time again… When you can!





31" Redfish
Photo: Chuck Crowsey
Personal Best Redfish as of 3/29/16 @ 31"
Photo: Chuck Crowsey

No comments:

Post a Comment