Pages

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Why do I hunt and Fish? It's A Way of Life

A day's work in the Lower Laguna Madre
Photo: Cole Carson
The other day, I had someone ask me why I hunt.  It kind of took me by surprise.  This person is more of an acquaintance than anything.  Just someone I see picking up the kids at school or at the park.  I guess living in Texas with very little resistance to my lifestyle, I have become complaisant in not having to defend my choices when it comes to hunting and fishing the way many people do in other states.

My answer was basically "because I want to" with a dose "how dare you question my way of life" attitude.  Then, it dawned on me that this person was trying to have an intelligent conversation as to why I like to hunt.  I could tell by this time that this person felt like she crossed a line by asking the question.  I tried to circle back to the conversation, but she didn't want to talk about it.  By the time that awkward conversation or lack thereof was over, I was disappointed in myself for not articulating myself in an intelligent manner.  In retrospect, I was truly surprised by the question, but my inability to give a thoughtful, accurate, and detailed response probably served to strengthen even the tiniest amount of contempt for my way of life.

My way of life... Let's think about that for a minute.  I live in the city, there is a grocery store 5 minutes from my house.  My daily routine involves shuttling kids around, baseball practices, games, tournaments, grocery shopping, work, etc., all the usual stuff most of us do.  As I write this, I can hear the traffic on a major highway.  So, how can hunting and fishing be a way of life?  Well, I guess when you compare that to life in rural Alaska or living off the land where your survival is at stake, it can be a tough case to make.

A rare moment of peace between brother and
sister brought to you by a peaceful setting
Photo: Chris Carson
Consider for a moment though, the things you find in your food.  If you eat meat from a grocery
store, the growth hormones and other toxic trash you are putting in your body is mind blowing.  The apple you had for a snack was likely sprayed with pesticide, and genetically engineered to taste a certain way or have a certain color or be a certain size, or more accurately produce a certain amount of money. I seriously doubt that the health benefits are anywhere near what they once were.  But to me this begs the question... If we can genetically engineer these things, why can't we engineer healthier, better tasting foods?

The answer I came up with is this: We can't beat nature. Nature produces the things we need to fuel our bodies.

There is also something uniquely satisfying about bringing home dinner.  I have always been a meat and potatoes kind of guy, but when you harvest your meat, gut and skin the animal yourself, cut your dinner off the bone, grind it or tenderize it, season it and cook it yourself... To quote Kenyon Bankston of Southern Boyz Outdoors; "It just don't get no better than this!"

In Genesis 1:26 God gave man dominion. He intended for us to live and thrive upon what He created. Some will bring up Matthew 5:5 in response to this and say "The meek shall inherit the earth". Let's take a look at that word "meek".  Notice it does not say "weak".  Some synonyms for the word "meek" are: mild, humble, and modest. I call this "quiet confidence" with my baseball players.  With confidence comes strength and tenacity. An antonym is pride.

A nice typical 8pt. buck near Hondo, TX
Photo: James Plant
Then there is the argument for conservation.  Without hunters hunting these animals, overpopulation would be detrimental; not only to the animal, but it's food and water sources as well.  The natural ecology would be thrown out balance.  Disease and hardship for these animals, especially in years of drought, would be devastating to their numbers and the plants, insects, and other food sources along with other animals that use the same food and water sources.  The damage to the eco-system would be exponential.  One of their natural predators is humans. Take hunters out of the mix and you will have a problem of gigantic proportions.

To those that would argue that "Shooting a deer at 100 yards is too easy." I would say this: one of the greatest advantages we were born with is the ability for critical thinking, problem solving, and an opposable thumb. Many animals are blessed with speed or strength and carry their own weapons as body parts.  Hunters were blessed with the ability to outwit their prey as well as design and build their weapons.

Sunset from a ground blind near Hondo, TX
Photo: Chris Carson
Then there are the things I get to see that most people either don't have the opportunity to see or don't appreciate.  Last August during my fishing trip to Port Mansfield, we saw a sea turtle that was about as big as the hood of my truck!  I have also seen an otter in Rebecca Creek.  I thought it was an otter, but had to look it up online.  I had no idea that there were otters in Texas.  I have also seen strutting turkeys, bobcats, foxes, a mountain lion, and a badger.  All of them just doing what they do in their natural habitat.  Then there are always the fiery sunsets, sunrises, the sounds or even the quiet time nature provides.  I feel blessed to be able to experience all these things.  Of course it is not required to have a weapon in my hands when I see these things, but hunting and fishing trips provide the convenient opportunity to appreciate these things.

In short, I am an apex predator.  I take my place on top of the food chain as it should be; as it were meant to be.  Weather it's by rod and reel, bow, rifle, or any other (legal) means, I will do what I was designed to do by my Creator: hunt, fish, and provide for my family by outwitting my prey. To me, that is my way of life!

No comments:

Post a Comment