Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Adventure Files: Kayak Fail (not so much) Part 2

The adventures have been few and far between for awhile now as I have had to make time in my schedule for coaching my boys' baseball teams.  Although we are in the thick of Little League All-Stars, we finally had a day off on Tuesday, so we got in a little adventure!

Quick Disclaimer: although "failure" is involved in this installment of Adventure Files, the title is more of a continuation of the original story (another chapter if you will), than a failure.

Mini X by Malibu Kayaks
We (at Twisted Oak Hunting & Outfitter Supply) have finally been able to get kayaks into the store. The nice folks at Malibu Kayaks have approved us as a dealer and we are currently awaiting shipment of our first order.

My son, Cole, just turned 11 and we ordered him a Malibu Kayaks Mini-X.  It's a 9' kayak complete with adjustable foot pegs, 4 flush mount rod holders, front storage hatch, another storage hatch between his feet, and standing platform, a rear storage area with a bungee, and the all important cup holder. We also got him a Jr. Explorer seat and paddle to complete the initial package.



Cole's care package from Malibu Kayaks
The only problem with all of this is that we weren't able to close the deal on this purchase before his birthday.  So, I called my contact there at Malibu and asked if they could send me a sticker or something to let him know he was getting a kayak for his birthday. They were happy to make that happen and went above and beyond by sending him an entire care package complete with stickers, a cap, some magnets, a certificate naming him the owner
of a Mini-X in Desert Camo, and
best of all (according to Cole)... A Backwater Assault Paddle.  I must confess, I want one too!


Cole had been driving me crazy (and still is) with questions like "Dad, where is the first place you want to go when you get your kayak?" Of course, I ordered myself one. It is a Stealth 14 from Malibu Kayaks along with an X-Tank, and a Spider Angler seat from Crack of Dawn Paddlesports. So I decided to take him to Canyon Lake and learn some things using the kayak from my original Kayak Fail.

This kayak and I had a brief, but sorted history.  However, I wasn't going to let that deter me from letting Cole have some fun learning to kayak.  We loaded up and headed to Canyon Lake for an afternoon of fun.  We arrived at the lake and chose a spot that was easy to access.  We unloaded and headed down to the water.

The lake was up from the recent flooding, picnic tables were in the water and boat ramps were closed, but we drug the old Aquaterra about 100 yds. down a hill and across the grass to the water and I let Cole have the first run... He paddled around and had a blast.  After a few minutes, he wanted me to try.

My original experience with this kayak was less than successful, so I was a bit apprehensive to attempt to mount this thing for the fear of looking like an idiot in front of my son and a few other on-lookers. Getting in was a bit of a chore, as it was the first time, but without the fear of a cold water kayak baptism, I was able to get in and began paddling around.  I noticed a "No Wake Zone " buoy about 200 yards out and made it my goal to reach the buoy.

This is where things begin to get sketchy.  As I paddled out, (at about the half way point) I noticed a difference in my right and left paddle stroke.  I looked down and the top rivet that secured the blade of the paddle to the handle had come loose. Being attached only at the bottom presented a bit of a challenge.  However, I was determined to reach the buoy.  I used my right "traffic" finger (aka: the bird) to secure the blade to the handle.  I'm still pretty sure I looked like an idiot with my right hand all the way down to one side of the paddle and 3 feet of handle sticking of the left side, but it worked.  I got the the buoy, turned around and came back.  Cole was disappointed that I did not touch the buoy, but I considered the affair a "WIN".

When I returned, I got out and Cole embarked on another voyage.  He began tooling around and the paddle broke.  With only a one sided, long, unwieldy paddle at our disposal, I decided to have Cole practice re-entry and flipping the kayak in order to make Mom a little more comfortable in the notion of getting him a kayak for his birthday. He did a great job.

The video to the right shows him in water too deep to stand.  This time was the only time he didn't get in on the first attempt, which worked out because he was able to demonstrate both ways he learned to flip the kayak.  We probably did it at least 10 times.

After about 30 minutes or so of that, I remembered that there was a two piece paddle stowed in the hull.  Cole got it out and paddled around a bit more, the I decided to take another trip to the buoy.  I didn't get too far before that paddle broke too!  Upon further inspection, it had a flat spot (like it had been run over by a car) near the blade of the paddle.

So, this was actually more of a paddle fail than a kayak fail, but all in all, it was a great time. Cole got to test out his Backwater Assault Paddle, which by the way is AWESOME as Cole says, and we got to spend some time on the water.  No fishing, nothing extravagant... Just good, quality, fun in the sun!
Can't wait for my Malibu Kayak!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment