Pages

Monday, March 28, 2016

Hunting or Fishing? Happy I Can't Decide!

Cole's First Fish
Photo: Mike Carden
I don’t remember catching my first fish, but thanks to a photo of the occasion, I can tell you who was there, about how old I was, and what I was wearing.  The species of fish was a little cloudy to me until recently when a friend and I found ourselves bored and the topic was raised. Thank goodness for Google.  I don’t think I have ever caught another fish that looked as ugly as that one! It is safe to say I have been fishing as long as I can remember.  If I am not mistaken, my first real hunting trip took place about age 12.

I owe my love of the outdoors to my older brother, Chuck.  In a recent trip taking my 10 year old son, Cole fishing, Chuck told him “your dad and I just drove around the state of Texas figuring it out”. Chuck was in high school and college and I was in elementary and middle school when that was happening.  I think it was more like he figured it out and showed me how to do it.  However, I did appreciate his including me in the credits there.


When I was a kid, I remember my grandpa referring to fishing as “drowning worms”, yet I'm told that he did enjoy hunting.  Unfortunately I never knew that side of him.  I have also known people who love to fish, but can’t stand to hunt.  I find humor in the fact that they complain about the same thing.  Drowning worms implies that fishing is boring.  People who aren’t excited about hunting are complaining that sitting in a deer blind for hours on end is boring.


Hondo Sunset & Hartcraft Broadheads
Photo: Chris Carson
Aquatic life or land loving mammals... It makes no difference to me.  I will stalk a redfish on the flats or deer in the woods. Also, as I have mentioned plenty of times before, there is something peaceful about sitting in a deer blind with no cell phone ringing or walking down a path with a pail of worms much like Opie on the way to a favorite fishing hole.  These are times to connect with our Maker and appreciate the abundance of beauty there is in this world whether it’s a beautiful green sea with a thin line of blue water on the horizon or a fiery sunset from the blind.  

I really don’t understand why some hunters don’t like to fish and some fishermen don’t like to hunt. Stalking and sight casting to a redfish in skinny water or a bass on the bed is no different than stalking a land animal.  Many hunters enjoy a good spot and stalk, and many fishermen enjoy sitting on a pier for hours on end.

I suppose the difference is that more often than not, when a hunter pulls the trigger or releases an arrow, the projectile finds it’s mark.  Many times a fisherman casts his bait into what seems like nothingness. Sometimes fish are finicky and don’t want the bait, color, or size you are throwing.  Fish can also be difficult to find if you don't have a boat with electronics.  "95% of the fish are in 5% of the water" is how I think the saying goes.  I would say that probably applies to wildlife and land too, but I guess it's easier to see them.  I do appreciate the challenge of "looking" (or HUNTING) for fish when you can't see them, but it can also be frustrating at times.  Sometimes you just have to grind it out.


Chris Castro of Next Level Fishing TV
Photo: Chris Castro
There will always be varying degrees of craziness associated with these endeavors.  Call it extreme if you will, but I must confess being somewhat drawn to them myself.  I have recently made friends with a group of guys, one of which is Chris Castro from Next Level Fishing TV.  Check out their YouTube channel in the link.  These guys go offshore kayak fishing for species one can find in the open waters and depths of the Gulf of Mexico.

Then you have folks like Cameron Hanes who puts it all on the line in the mountains of Alaska and other WILD places.  Check out his video here.  Whether close enough for a bow shot on a bear, or hanging on to a dall sheep that is mortally wounded and about to go over a ledge in the mountains of Alaska, he puts his life at risk in extreme conditions to to get the kill.

I too have dabbled in the extreme side of hunting. I can say that I have been swimming in the Trinity River with a hog while hunting with dogs trained to hunt hogs in some of the thickest briars and brambles East Texas has to offer.  A very strenuous and thrilling endeavor indeed.  I only wish I had a video of that!

Truth be told, I would take it any way it comes, fishing, hunting, or their extreme versions, it’s all the same to me.  I would like to be in much better shape than I currently find myself.  I’m not getting any younger, but then again… That’s a good reason to get myself back in shape.  My bucket list isn’t getting any shorter!

Have you had any extreme hunting or fishing experiences? Do you like one and not the other?  Share you comments with us here or on our facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/46outdoors/




2 comments: