Pages

Monday, June 12, 2017

Bye Bye Baseball.... Hello Hunting and Fishing

Summer is upon us here in South Texas.  It has been quite some time since I posted due to career stuff and our other outdoor family passion.. Baseball.  Rest assured though that I am still quite the avid outdoorsman and continue to have a great passion for getting our youth hooked on the outdoors.  My disappointment escalates as the weeks fly by on the calendar without a chance to get on the water or in the woods.

Unfortunately, deer season came and went without a shot fired for my family. I don't think we even had time for bow targets in the backyard.  I was able to get to the lease a couple times during bow season, but that was about it.  So, as deer season closed out, I vowed to get into the woods for some shenanigans involving a turkey and a shotgun, but that opportunity never surfaced as my nose remained firmly pressed against the proverbial grindstone.  In addition to being a partner in Twisted Oak, I also flip houses and with the real estate market hot here, I have been VERY busy.

Baseball is also very much a big deal around our house as my oldest son Cole plays both Little League and select/travel baseball and I coach.  Fifty or more games per year is not at all uncommon (in fact, it may be a little low).  We shared a dream of going to Williamsport to play in the Little League World Series since he was about 5 or 6, but as I have recently learned through experience is usual with that dream, well intentioned adults have a way of pursuing it so fervently that they destroy the dream in many kids (and adults) with the constant pushing and prodding, league politics (from the international level on down to the local level), and cheating the system.

Recently, we have found a great organization (Texas Pro United) here in San Antonio that has a great coaching staff of former players and coaches that have a well rounded approach to the game and truly prepare their athletes for success in high school and beyond.  Because of the reasons listed above and the reality of knowing I will never change it, I have decided not to seek re-election to the Board of Directors for our local league in order to chase this dream.... Getting kids outdoors!  

We have recently taken holiday opportunities to hit the river in our Malibu kayaks to have some fun. While we still have baseball commitments over the summer, the schedule will open up to allow more hunting and fishing.  More on these exploits next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment