Pages

Monday, February 29, 2016

Introducing Adventure Files: 46 Outdoors Adventure Series

One of my favorite photos taken by Chuck Crowsey at a
ranch in South Texas 
I once heard adventure defined as: "an exciting or wild undertaking of uncertain outcome".  That sounds like the plan for most of my outdoors experiences.  Isn't that truly what many of us are after?

If you asked me why I hunt and fish, of course feeding my family would be high on that list.  I would also argue that the meat I harvest is as organic and naturally free ranging as anything you can buy in a grocery store and probably more so.  I would further point out that these wild animals are leaner and since I process my own meat, it is void of many of the chemicals and  growth hormones found in your local grocery store or meat market, but that is a conversation for another day.  What I am really after is the thrill of the hunt. I want a memorable experience.  Not only do I want to come home safely with a cooler full of meat or fish, I want to bring home a story.  I want a memorable experience to share with my friends and family.  I want an ADVENTURE.

In the series that follows, I will chronicle and share with you these adventures when they unfold. I
have found these experiences to be fairly entertaining and at least somewhat educational. Much like my Kayak Fail a couple weeks ago... If you haven't seen that post, click on the link. It's pretty entertaining! Many of these exciting undertakings will involve my kids and the trials and tribulations of exploring the outdoors with kids in tow. Other installments will include some throwback stories. These may be some of the best of this series as there was probably more true adventure in my younger, wilder days. However, I have found that my kids can take me on adventures too. You just never know what will happen.

The essence of that is what drives me to live life in the great outdoors. How many adventures do you have indoors?  How many adventures do your kids have indoors?  I for one can tell you, if you don't tell them to put down the tablet and go outside, the only adventure they will find is a new world in Minecraft or some other ridiculous game.

My 10 year old son played 4 baseball games this weekend.  Our 4 year old son has a blast at these tournaments.  He races pebbles down hills like race cars, plays in the sand, and runs the bases after the games. They don't like to be indoors.  Their imagination runs wild when they are outdoors. When they have the chance to go hunting or fishing, there is never a question as to weather or not they "want" to go.  I think the older one would truly not be able to decide if I gave him the choice of baseball or fishing. When we are at home, they play their share of video games (much to my dismay). Fortunately, that is not at all very often.  In fact, the real issue is keeping him off the screens so he can get his homework done.

My daughter spends less time outdoors willingly.  However, sometimes she surprises me and wants to go. This may be more about the age (age 12) than anything else.  She used to like going to the lease with me to fill feeders and just poke around when she was younger. I always laugh, when we leave her at home and go to a baseball game. We almost always get the call... "When are you coming home? I'm bored!"  I like this call, I think it means we are one day closer to her coming back around. At least that's what I tell myself!

It is my sincere hope, that one of these days, I will have the time and means to produce enough content to fill a weekly series.  Until then I will attempt to fill in with throwback content...  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment