Pages

Monday, February 15, 2016

Kayak Fishing... No More Excuses

If you read my "What's In A Name" post or know anything about me, you know I am no stranger to fishing the waters of Central and South Texas.  Canyon Lake, Medina Lake, Travis, the Guadalupe, Medina, Blanco, Colorado, Frio and the Nueces Rivers have all been my fishing waters along with the bays and shorelines from Rockport to the King Ranch on down to the Port Isabel Causeway.  I even have a story about alligators, deer, and a Game Warden at Choke Canyon that someday I may write about.  Of course I will have to change the names to protect the innocent (no really no laws were broken).  It's an interesting story nonetheless.  However, one thing I have NEVER done is fish from a kayak.  This week, that will change!

I have been looking (for quite some time) to put kayaks in our store, Twisted Oak Hunting & Outfitter Supply.  We are finally close to working out a deal with a company that will remain undisclosed until we get that worked out, but to say the least it has been a long hard road.  Since I began thinking about this (over a year now), I have wanted to give it a try.  It can be an economical way to get away from the crowds, and high pressure fishing that public access banks provide. In the last year I have made many friends in the fishing community and many of them fish from the yak and do well.  My excitement for this new endeavor continues to grow, but as we have not been able to get any kayaks here in the store, I have refrained from just going out and purchasing a kayak (to the dismay of my 10 yr old son) because I want to paddle what we sell.  However, my friend Brian Taylor with 5x3 and several other sponsors has graciously loaned me the use of his kayak while I am trying to get this worked out, putting an end to my wait!  (THANK YOU BRIAN TAYLOR!!!!!!)

Several weeks ago, Brian brought me his Aquaterra kayak. She is sleek and seems a little narrow for my 260 lb frame but that will not deter me.  It is a Sit On Top (SOT) model with adjustable foot pegs large front and rear hatches and came equipped with what looks like a couple Scotty Rod Holder mounts that need the actual rod holder pieces.  Other than that, your basic kayak with a paddle.

As it does not have the actual rod holders.... and the temperatures have been a bit low... and I have no experience kayaking... and I have no cold weather gear to wear on said kayak... and I have not yet purchased the all important PFD,  I still haven't put this thing in the water!  So, I have been working on an anchor trolley, a kayak crate with rod holders (I cut and flared PVC to make my own rod holders), and figuring out my general set up.  Also, it's worth noting that I haven't spent a dime yet... Remember, I said it was economical!  However, I'm quite sure I will want to change it all when I get it on the water!  Oh well!

Sometime this week, I will be purchasing my PFD and finishing up all these little projects.  Still left on my list is mountings for tools, a lid for my crate, leashes (I plan on making those too), and an anchor.  I plan to share with you my experiences good and bad about kayak fishing.  Once school is out I will be introducing my son to kayak fishing as well and relating that experience as it unfolds, so stay tuned!  Hopefully we will have a little video along the way as well.

I have been a little apprehensive about getting wet as water temps this time of year are likely in the 50's, but I can wait no longer!  Afternoon temps will be in the 80's this week, so I'm hanging out the shingle: GONE FISHIN'!

No comments:

Post a Comment