Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2016

46 Outdoors Adventure Files: Whitetail FAIL and What I Learned

Take a kid HUNTING!
Photo: Chris Carson
Usually, my final hunt of deer season is an annual hunt with my brother, his in-laws, and a few of his friends.  We share stories and pictures, eat some incredible meals, catch up with each other, and enjoy fellowship with family and friends.  Almost secondarily, we hunt, we kill, and we process much of the meat that will become meals for our families and friends.

I say secondarily, but in reality, this is a high fenced ranch under MLD permits, and we are there to do a job.  We are usually tasked with shooting does to keep the herd in balance and occasionally, we get a "hit list" of certain deer that need to be removed because of poor genetics or some other reason. Aside from the food, friends, family, and fellowship, we get to see some magnificent deer.

The last few years, for differing reasons, I have only been able to make it down for a day or even just an evening hunt.  This past season was no exception to that as I arrived about 2:30 on Friday afternoon and had to get back for something (probably baseball) on Saturday morning.

I met the guys at the skinning rack where they were finishing boning out a few deer shot the night before.  Once that was done, we headed back to the bunkhouse and began preparing for the evening hunt and getting an idea on where everyone was going to hunt.

My brother had asked his father-in-law (the land owner) about a buck he had seen that morning.  He was an 8 point that had been fighting and had broken off all his points on one side. The decision was made to take this deer out if it was seen.  I was also told to shoot a 6 point that had long hair and it's tongue was hanging out if I had a shot.

I was set up in a blind with an oat patch to the southwest, and a sendero to the northwest.  The wind was blowing from the south east.  It was early to mid January in South Texas a couple weeks or so post-rut.  A young buck came out shortly after I was dropped off to feed on the corn dropped in the road as my ride left to drop someone else.

About an hour later, with the young buck still eating, a few yearlings and young bucks came out down the sendero near the feeder.  I watched them for a good 20 minutes or so when a few more bucks started showing up, one of which was a buck that had a main beam with all three broken tines on the right and 4 points on the left.  I texted my brother to let him know what I was seeing and whether this was the deer he was talking about.  We decided that this deer was much younger than the one he had seen and passed.

I settled into watching the deer I couldn't shoot, when a big deer came to the feeder.  This was one of the group of deer known as "The Bubbas".  I had a great view of this deer through my binoculars.  I wanted to get a good picture of it, but all I had was my iPhone.  At 100 yards, a zoomed in photo was grainy and the deer looked small.  Without the zoom, this big bruiser looked like an ant with a bush on it's head.  I really do need to invest in a good camera!

As the evening wore on, the bucks all slowly left the sendero and a whole herd of does and yearlings
started showing up in the oats.  I quickly began to try to track which ones had fawns and which ones didn't.  As more and more deer showed up, it became increasingly more difficult to tell does from button bucks.  I noticed a deer on it's own on the south side of the pasture.  I looked her over and decided this was an old doe with no fawns making her a great candidate.  The way the blind was oriented, I put my rifle through the window on my left and set up for that shot.  I put the cross hairs on the old doe and waited for her to turn broadside.  As I was waiting, I was continually looking out the window that was in front of me to check on the rest of the herd to make sure I wasn't getting busted by them.

What seemed like an eternity later, I glanced out that window and saw something weird.  I did a double take.  My rifle still hanging out the window to my left, I brought my binoculars up and looked over the stock to see if I could identify this deer.  The best way I can describe it is that it looked like a miniature elk.  It was the strangest thing.  It had long hair on it's neck and shoulders; maybe a little reddish or brindle in color.

I moved my rifle from one window to the other.  Immediately, I began looking for a tongue that was hanging out.  The sun was beginning to set behind an overcast sky and while it looked up, I saw something dangling from it's mouth.  I couldn't be sure it was his tongue though and it gave me pause.  I kept looking.

I confirmed 6 points and was thinking this had to be the freak of nature they were describing.  I kept looking for the tongue to confirm the three characteristics I was given.  As my scope actually gathers more light than my bino's do, I was looking through the scope to confirm this deer's identity.  This deer must have had it's head down between rows for a good 5 minutes at a time.  Finally, he looked up and I saw that tongue just dangling out of the side of it's mouth.  This was a "hit list buck".  I was ready.  I settled into a comfortable position and waited for this deer to give me a good shot. When it did, I squeezed the trigger.

Take another kid HUNTING!
Photo: Chris Carson
The deer jumped forward, turned around and began running across the field.  I knew something didn't seem right.  I watched as this deer high tailed it across the pasture expecting it to crash or stop and keel over.  About 1/2 way across the field, I realized that wasn't going to happen.  I had already racked another shell, because I make it a habit to do so for just this situation, but I lost the angle on him and had to pull the rifle out of one window and put it back in the other.  I got back on him just in time to see him jump the fence and disappear into the brush.

I got down and went looking for blood or hair or any sign that my bullet made contact with the freak of nature, but sadly... I MISSED!

I couldn't believe it.  I don't miss very often.  In fact, I can't remember the last time I flat out missed an animal altogether.  I've mad some bad shots before and had to track them a ways, but I don't think I ever remember a flat out miss since I was a kid trying to shoot my first deer.

I have waited several months to write this, because I wanted to confirm my suspicions.  I recently took a trip to the range and confirmed my theorey.

That day, when I was getting ready, I realized as I was loading my rifle that I had two different rounds for that caliber.  I knew I had only bought one box of ammo.  It took me about a week or so to remember that a friend had found a box of Nossler bullets he knew I liked and bought them for me.  They were a different grain than what I had sighted in with and as such I put the box away in my gun case.  I guess I must have left a few in my backpack though and they mad their way into the pocket I keep where I keep my ammo.  One was longer and one was shorter.  I guess I picked the wrong one, Because the other shell I had in my hand that day hit the bullseye at 100 yards.

I was disappointed that I missed, but I always try to learn something from my mistakes.  My lesson here is to always check your packs, keep them organized and store your equipment properly.  It's a pain to pack and unpack every time you go, but a little extra time spent packing and unpacking won't be too painful.  I for one, assume that I have what I need in my backpack, because I never unpack it. Several years ago, I scouted the morning of opening day of rifle season because I went to the blind a left my magazine and shells at camp.  The fact of the matter is you don't know if it's there unless you pack it yourself... and even then it's sketchy at best (at least for me anyway)!  





 

No comments:

Post a Comment