Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Crotch Pot Chili Anyone?

In one of my typical fishing shorts.... I wish
this was my typical fish!
This morning, I woke up to a message on Facebook Messenger from a friend that asked what I wear when I wade fish. Here is the message: 

"What do you wear (shorts) when wade fishing? Swim suits chafe where the webbing hits on my legs so I tried compression shorts under my PFG fishing shorts. After 2 days on the water I had the worst rash, probably from constantly being wet in my marble sack. Suggestions???"

As I'm pretty sure it has to be some sort of "Man Code Violation" to let this go unanswered or even be slow in answering, I quickly answered his question and I am going to do the same here today in hopes of helping anyone else avoid this unfortunate situation I like to call Crotch Pot Chili.  

First, before the big reveal, I will say that everyone has their own personal issues and hygeine aside, our bodies have differing physiologies. What works for one person may not work for the rest of us.  

It seems that our bodies were designed in a manner that makes it quite easy for all the sweat our upper bodies produce to head south and and congregate in one specific area. When Adam reached for the fig leaf, the first case of jock itch was born. When we wear underwear, it seems to collect all the sweat and nastiness that our bodies produce. Add to that skin allergies and chaffing... It can be downright unpleasant.

So how do I avoid that most unpleasant journey home from a fishing trip with a 5 Alarm case of Crotch Pot Chili?

First, I use an Under Armour Boxerjock, here is a link:

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/mens/apparel/underwear/bottoms?lsg=a02715f4-0961-4c27-b968-de0b44fc94a5

This Boxerjock has a woven panel that wicks out moisture in all the right places.  A little research this morning revealed that they now have them in versions that will help you stay warm or cool.... I may need to investigate this more thoroughally come deer season!  Maybe it's time for a new pair! I have worn other off brand compression type underwear and had issues, but the UA Boxerjock has always performed well for me.  

As far as fishing shorts go, I like to wear the rip stop fabric shorts that are very loose fitting and do not have a "swim trunk style" mesh liner.  Many people will wear pants to wade fish in to protect from both the sun and jelly fish.  Alas, I am a shorts guy.  At least I will be until I get whacked by a jelly fish!  I usually buy Columbia or Magellan, but while looking at the UA website this morning, I noticed that they have Performance Cargo Shorts that I might give a try.  The main thing to look for in a pair of fishing shorts in my opinion, is loose fitting and quick drying lightweight material.


Photo: Chris Castro  Next Level Fishing TV
I'm sure there are those out there that go "cowboy style" or "commando" in an attempt to avoid this most unfortunate situation.  What do you do?  Infact, as I am just recently beginning to pursue kayak fishing, let's hear from the yakers out there... How do you handle this situation?  I would guess that what would work for wade fishing would work for a kayak fishing, but maybe I'm wrong!  And what about the women... Do women have these issues or something different?  How do you deal with it?


Let us know in the comments below or on our Facebook page






No comments:

Post a Comment