Pages

Thursday, March 31, 2016

Adventure Files: Did Someone Say Chupacabra?

Bergheim Pet Hospital & Clinic
Built By Chris Carson Contracting Co.
Photo: JM Photos
In what now almost seems like a previous life, I was a builder and remodeler.  I still dabble in that business from time to time, but nevertheless, it is safe to say that my career path has taken a detour.  In June of 2007, after a wet Spring, as I was in the process of building a vet clinic.  We were getting it “dried in” and my bricklayers were on site.  I had been discussing hunting with my masonry contractor, John, and he mentioned that he had never hunted hogs before.  He was born and raised in Midland, TX and lived in Central and South Texas for quite awhile.  How this man reached the age of 50 years old in Texas without ever hunting a hog was baffling, and I quickly decided that I would change that.

When I wrote him his check for the final payment of an outstanding job, I asked him if he was free the next weekend for a hog hunt and he was eager to go! We planned to go the following Friday evening.  We met at what was then the Super S Food Store in Castroville to pick up some snacks and drinks.  He was now working on some modifications on a tamale plant in San Antonio and brought some of the most delicious tamales I think I have ever had.

Suzuki Samurai Outfitted For Hunting
Photo: Chris Carson
We headed for my lease near Hondo, TX.  At the time, I had a Suzuki Samurai modeled outfitted much like the one in the photo.  The plan was pretty simple.  Corn the roads in specific places where I
knew hogs crossed and wait for them.  We also used some hog attractant and a pig call. 

After a few hours of prep work and showing John the lease, we headed over to one of the sites we corned, which was around a protein feeder that we had seen pictures of hogs trying to reach the feeder tubes.  We set up on the road about 50-60 yards downwind from the feeder.  We were slightly down hill and the weeds were very tall from all the rain we had been having.  I was a little concerned that a shot on a hog might be kind of tough because of the weed growth (even with the elevated rear seat), but we decided to stick it out and see what happened.

We settled into eating tamales and trading hunting stories.  If we weren’t fast friends yet, we were on our way.  He told me about bird hunting oil leases in West Texas and I told him about hunting hogs in East Texas.  Our whispered conversation was almost continuous.  About the time I thought that we didn’t have anything else to talk about, we would find another topic.

As sundown approached, we had a few deer come in to the protein feeder.  We watched as they milled around.  Most ate the corn.  I used this opportunity to judge where we did and didn’t have clear shots through the weeds. Surprisingly there were more clear shots than I thought, but they were doing a number on the corn.  I was glad to see them at the protein feeder though, because I could see a few inches of antler growth on every deer in this little bachelor group.

Corned Road Somewhere In South Texas
Photo: Chris Carson
As I was watching intently and looking at the antler growth on what seemed to be the dominant buck, I caught movement out of the corner of my eye.  I looked up unable to refocus quickly enough with the difference in light from my binoculars to actual daylight, but something crossed the road about 15 yards in front of us.  John leaned in and whispered “what was that?”.  About the time I leaned back to say “I think it was a deer.” All the deer at the feeder disappeared.

I sat back up tall and began to replay what I had seen in my head while listening and scanning the brush line.  This animal bounded in from the right.  Then it smoothly eased across the road and back into the brush.  It dawned on me that the color I saw looked like a lighter toned deer, but it didn’t move like a deer and there seemed to be something moving behind it.  I leaned back in toward John and whispered “I don’t think that was a deer.” He whispered back “me either.” 

By this time, the hair on the back of my neck was standing at attention! John leaned over and asked “What do you think it was?”  I knew what I thought it was, but I didn’t want to say it for fear of being that guy. You know, the one that always has an outlandish tale that doesn’t seem plausible.  Honestly, I didn’t REALLY see it, so I just shrugged him off.  Being from South Texas, I had to make the obligatory Chupacabra joke to lighten the mood.

Then I began thinking about the fact that just a few months prior, I hunted this property on foot because in our hasty move from our lease in Grapeland, TX, I didn’t have a chance to get everything set up because I was so busy trying to clear my backlog of jobs so I could start the vet clinic on time.  I made makeshift ground blinds out of whatever twigs and fencing were laying around.  Fallen trees, small bushes and just plain old laying on my belly had been my preferred method of hunting and quite honestly it was one of the best hunting seasons I had ever experienced. 

As if all of this weren’t unnerving enough, I realized that we were in the one area on that side of the lease
where there were large mesquite trees with horizontal limbs that were about a foot or more in diameter.  Yep, now I was pretty sure what I had seen was a Mountain Lion.  I could tell John was a little sketchy about this situation too.  His eyes were darting around and it was pretty much completely dark by this time.  I leaned in a told John “I think that was a cat.”  To which he replied “I think that was a BIG CAT!” I breathed a sigh of relief for a moment knowing that he had seen what I thought I had seen.

John's Hog
Photo: Chris Carson
We sat there for a few minutes squirming around and I pointed out the fact that the trees over our heads and behind us were large enough to support a Mountain Lion. so we mutually agreed that it was in our best interests that we move on.

We checked a few other spots and I finally put John on some hogs, but he missed.  I took him several times that summer and if memory serves, he missed a couple times.  We finally got him his hog one night in August.  We had a heck of an experience together.  One I will never forget.  I kept the Mountain Lion sighting to myself for a few months not wanting to be that guy.  I hoped that somebody would get a pic of it on a trail cam, but nothing definitive.  Lots of blurry images, and maybes.  You can see just about anything you think you want to in those photos sometimes.  Then one day, talking to the ranch owner, he told me that a neighbor had seen a Mountain Lion.  I sighed in relief again knowing I wasn’t crazy!  It was finally time to let the cat out of the bag so to speak.  

About seven years later, I was deer hunting from a blind on the other side of the lease with my son Cole.  When it got to be prime time (that 20-30 minutes of gaslight when the sun goes down and the woods come alive), I thought I had seen something out the side window about 15-20 yards from the blind.  I had no idea what it was, but I was certain that a deer must have busted me took off in the brush.  Several minutes later, I shot a Bobcat.  We gave it the usual 10-15 minutes or so to let the nerves settle before we approached it.  I told Cole to open the door and start crawling down and as soon as he opened the door, he said "What's that?" I was still packing up and wasn't in a position to see what he was talking about. He said "Is that another Bobcat? It's huge!"  I said "Where?" and moved over to look out the window and Cole said "It's gone." I said which way did it go?" and he pointed north.  We quickly hopped in the truck and tried to follow, but what ever it was, was gone.

Bobcat From The Deer Blind
On the way home that night, I quizzed him about what he saw.  He was certain it was not a deer, and it was "way bigger than a bobcat".  When I got home, I showed him a picture of a Mountain Lion and he said "That's it!" He was 7 or 8 then.  I don't think he even knew what a Mountain Lion was until I explained it to him.  He has never been one to tell tall tales, so I tend to believe that (at the very least) he thinks he saw a Mountain Lion.  Chupacabra maybe?  Who knows?!?

Have you had any “hair raising” experiences outdoors?  Comment below or on the 46 Outdoors Facebook page and share them.  



No comments:

Post a Comment