Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2016

Adventure Files: Family Canoe Trip Gone Wrong Part 2

Guadalupe River
Photo: Bryan Taylor
Our trip down the Guadalupe continues.  If you haven't read Part 1, please take a look. We are about 3/4 of the way through our trip and there is more drama to come.

After we thanked the couple for helping us get as much of our things together as possible, we headed off again.  Not too far downstream, we encountered another rapid that had a small drop.  There was a small gravel bar with maybe an inch of water running over it to the left side of the river. I motioned to Laura to head over there with me and she did.  We got out of the canoes and the kids played in a small eddy out of the current while I tried to figure out the best line to get through these rapids.  At some point, I became aware that this was the rapid the man spoke about where there was a chute off to the right side.  I watched as some tubers went through the rapids and some went around through the chute. I guess he had given up on waiting for us. 

I thought about the options and although I saw tubers go in and tubers come out, the safety of my family squashed and notion of adventure here.  The kids were having fun playing and Laura really wanted to keep going.  I didn’t want to put my family through that again, so I decided I would walk the canoes through the rapids myself, which I did.

Once I reached the other side, We set sail again for Bigfoot Canoes with the hope that we had just crossed our last rapid.  There was a short peaceful paddle to the FM 311 bridge (also known as Esser’s Crossing) where we encountered another rapid.
Brother and sister at Nichols Landing
Photo: Chris Carson

This one seemed to be pretty tame in comparison to the last two. No drop in elevation, just about 500 feet
of fast running water over a rock garden.  We began to encounter trouble again when we bottomed out. Laura hit a larger boulder that tossed Caitlyn out like a ragdoll.  Caitlyn actually seemed to be having fun. To hear her tell the story, she just bailed out.  As she bailed out, Laura fell to that side and began taking on water. She rolled out held on to the canoe for what seemed like an eternity.  I kept telling her to let go and she just kept looking at me. It was a tremendously amazing feat of strength I was watching as she held on to that canoe in fast moving water while it was filling up with rushing water.

I was stuck, bottomed out in my canoe.  If I stood up, and helped her, it would have floated off with Cole and Cody in the rapids.  I was not in a position to help her without putting my two son’s in danger.  Finally, after pleading with her to let go, she asked “Where is Caitlyn?”  She didn’t see that Caitlyn swam to shore just like I told her to do before we ever left home. She finally let go.  I found out later that she never saw Caitlyn swim away, and couldn't see her over the canoe. She thought Caitlyn was trapped or on the other side of the canoe and was afraid that she would get run over by the canoe if she let go. 

About the time she did finally let go, a woman who had been there with some other folks came out to help.  I stood up and pushed my canoe with the kids in it across about 30 feet of VERY fast moving water about 4 inches deep or so.  I literally had to push this canoe running behind it as fast as I could to get it to shore. It reminded me of many football workouts 30 years ago pushing the sled.

Guadalupe River
Photo: Brian Taylor
With the drift I encountered, I was about 25 yards downstream from where Laura was when I finally got it beached. I went back for her. The woman grabbed the canoe and was in some deeper, slower water where she could anchor it.  Laura was sitting in the rapids where she turned over still catching her breath.  I knew she was safe there and was not ready to stand up and make her way across the rushing water, so I grabbed the canoe and this nice woman helped me with getting the canoe (full of water) across the fast moving water and beached again now about 30 yards downstream. I went back again for Laura as she made her way to the canoes. 

The woman, who came to help, assisted me in flipping the canoe to get the water out. About this time, a man who seemed drunk came to help Laura who was sitting in the water near the canoes still catching her breath.  As he was trying to help her up or something, he dropped the woman’s dog in the water. She quickly snatched up the dog and gave him an earful as they left. It was a very awkward situation.  Later, Laura asked me “What was that guy doing?” Truthfully, I was baffled.

We got back in the canoes and paddled downstream again hoping we had seen our last rapids before the take out at Bigfoot.  Low and behold, the next turn in the river was the take out. Laura and I were glad to see it.  The kids still wanted to play.  I called the office at Bigfoot and told them we were at the take out.  The man told me that the driver would be back soon.

We let the kids play in the river while we waited. Another group of tubers showed up, picked up their tubes and headed up the hill for their cars.  Another group with some tubes and canoes showed up.  It had been 30 minutes or so since I called.  They were going to leave their rented canoes there and just head back to their cars.  I wasn’t about to haul our borrowed canoe uphill a half a mile to the truck, but I considered going to get the truck.  About the time I prepared to hike to the truck, the old beat up Scout II that took us to Nichol’s Landing showed up.  We loaded our things and headed back to the truck.  

The golf ball sized lump on Laura’s arm was holding steady.  She had good mobility and we were all hungry, so we decided to stop at Beefy’s Backyard in Spring Branch to eat some dinner, lick our wounds and decompress a little before we headed home. On the way into the restaurant, we ran into some baseball friends coming back from a tournament. Even telling them the ordeal then didn’t seem to do it justice.

Guadalupe River
Photo Bryan Taylor
I was just thinking about starting this blog back then and it took me quite some time to write about this
experience.  Some of the details are a little fuzzy at this point, but I know some things for certain.  Caitlyn and Cole were tested that day and they proved to be smart and good listeners even though there was some pretty dangerous situations.  They handled it well. I guess we didn’t do a very good job of preparing Cody for this adventure. He had no idea what to expect. I believe this is why he was so scared to start off the trip.

In the future, I will always inspect the craft in which we travel. As I’m thinking about it now, I don’t ever remember more than a basic once over in looking at either canoe.  Don’t ever take for granted that things are in good condition.

I will also have back up plans for these kinds of trips.  Where can we take out along the way if something were to happen?  How will we get back to where we need to be? etc.

We have not let this dampen our adventurous spirit. Laura and I have discussed it with the kids and pointed out things we could have done better or been better prepared for. 


I should have known that a canoe trip with two adults and three kids (one of which was 4) with experience being little to none was not a good idea. A trip to a lake in a protected cove out of the wind would have been a much better idea. I might have even been able to fish a little with that kind of trip!

Most of all, I thank God for watching over us and putting those helpful souls in our path. Without the help of these people, we would have probably lost a canoe and many other things at the very least. Laura is still upset about her ring to this day, but I am thankful it was only the ring that was lost when you consider other alternatives like our lives or our kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment