Pages

Friday, March 25, 2016

Spring Turkey Season Prep

Photo Credit: TPWD
Spring Turkey Season is upon us! Here in Texas, we enjoy hunting both Eastern and Rio Grande Turkey. Dates and bag limits vary by county for the most part. Youth Only dates apply as well. Check your Outdoor Annual for details that pertain to your hunting location. Texas Parks & Wildlife Department (TPWD) also has an app for your smart phone now that has proven itself very useful for me, and much easier than carrying around an Outdoor Annual in whatever hunting or fishing situation I find myself.

Until about 15 years ago I had only hunted turkey in the Fall and it was more of an opportunistic endeavor than an actual turkey hunt. In other words they made the unfortunate mistake of crossing my rifle during deer season.

My first Spring turkey hunt, was a rush. I walked away empty handed, but knowing I called turkeys in from who knows how far away and seeing them strutting in looking for that hen was priceless.  It was an experience of a lifetime and I am now hooked for life!

Spring Turkey hunting is a great passion of mine. However, between baseball season, fishing and my personal lack of having a place with plentiful turkeys to hunt, I don't do it near as much as I would like. We have seen turkeys on our lease, but they have only been sighted a total of about 5 times in 10 years despite the fact that we have a dedicated turkey feeder.  The sightings are always during deer season and that includes a few sightings on camera.  But, that does not stop me from trying.  I still find time to go, because you don't know if you don't try, and a bad day of turkey hunting beats most other days in my book. Fortunately though, I can usually find some friends that can put me on the turkey.  This year, it appears I have found a place to guide some turkey hunts with Real Outfitters; an experience I am definitely looking forward to!

My packing list for turkey hunts is as follows:
Rudolph Optics Short Quad Shooting Sticks
  • 12 Ga. Shotgun with turkey choke (full choke will do)
  • 12 Ga. 2 oz. 5 shot Remington Premier Magnum Turkey Loads
  • Rudolph Optics Short Quad Shooting Sticks
  • Tenzing Turkey Vest with padded seat
  • Knight & Hale Sweet Lil' Liar Box Calls for mainly for yelps and cutts
  • Knight & Hale Stranglehold Glass Pot Call
  • Primos mouth calls to mix it up and sound like multiple turkeys
  • Primos Killer B Decoy
  • Turkey wing
  • Owl Locator call
  • Cedar Creek Camo pants and vented micro cool long sleeve T-shirt & cap (washed in Bio Shield detergent which reples biting insects such as fleas, ticks, and mosquitos)
  • Face paint
  • Thin camo gloves
  • Camo Hunting Boots
  • Endura Cool Buff
  • Find these products and more at
    Twisted Oak Hunting & Outfitter Supply
  • Bio Shield Spray (All Natural Insect /repellent) or Thermacell
I started my calling collection with a pot call called the "The Freak".  Over the years, I have found that different days, different weather, and other conditions can make a difference in how the calls sound and my confidence in them, so I keep a variety of different calls ready. Most of these items can be picked up or special ordered at Twisted Oak Hunting & Outfitter Supply. With the exception of the gun, shooting sticks, I'm either wearing it or it's packed in the vest including my water bottle.




I have found the best results when hunting with a friend.  One shooter, one caller.  It can easily be done alone or with two shooters, but the experience of calling in a turkey for a buddy or vice versa is a great bonding experience and it's always safer to be with someone. I can't wait to share this experience with my kids.

My goal this year is to take a turkey with my Bear Attitude compound bow. That would be a first for me, and probably the only way my son will be able to take one this year. I'm not sure he's ready for the kick from a magnum turkey load; and we can't afford a shoulder injury from a shotgun during baseball season.

Stop by Twisted Oak and pick up your supplies soon.  Here's to a happy and fruitful Turkey Season!


No comments:

Post a Comment